Richard acts for both claimants and respondents. His practice covers all the main aspects of employment law, including discrimination, unfair dismissal, wrongful and constructive dismissals, redundancy, TUPE, restrictive covenants, restraint of trade and whistleblowing.
Richard’s main expertise lies in disability discrimination. He is co-author of “Disability Discrimination in Employment” published by Oxford University Press, and is frequently instructed in complex and high value cases for respondent employers.
Recent employment law cases include:
- Acting for Mercedes in successful defence of constructive dismissal claim by one of its Formula 1 team engineers. [Issues of affirmation and waiver raised];
- Acting for Cambridgeshire Constabulary in successful defence of disability discrimination claim by officer suffering from PTSD. [Issues included whether referral to social care was capable of amounting to a detriment];
- Acting for Gloucestershire Constabulary in successful defence of claim of discrimination brought under Part Time Workers Regulations;
- Acting for Metropolitan Police in successful defence of claims of disability and sex discrimination brought by part time worker with dyslexia. [Issues of correct calculation of pay for part time workers raised];
- Acting for Ladbrokes in successful defence of claims for race discrimination and unfair dismissal brought by employee;
- Acting for Thames Valley Police in successful defence of claim of sex discrimination brought by serving police officer;
- Acting for Metropolitan Police in successful defence of claim of disability discrimination claim brought by officer with ADHD.