Remi regularly advises States and has been involved in inter-State litigation before a range of international courts and tribunals, including the International Court of Justice and the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea. Remi is currently junior counsel to Mauritius in relation to the dispute with the British Government over the Chagos Archipelago. He is also advising clients on land and maritime boundary disputes and matters of decolonisation and sovereign rights over natural resources.
Before joining 5 Essex Court, Remi spent seven years working as a legal researcher to Professor Philippe Sands QC. In that capacity he was involved in cases concerning inter alia the use of force, genocide, membership of international organisations, self-determination, boundary delimitation and maritime entitlements. Notable public international law cases include:
- Dispute concerning delimitation of the maritime boundary between Mauritius and Maldives in the Indian Ocean, International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea, 2019-present - counsel for Mauritius.
- Legal consequences of the separation of the Chagos Archipelago from Mauritius in 1965 (Request for an Advisory Opinion), International Court of Justice, 2017-present - counsel for Mauritius.
- The South China Sea Arbitration (Philippines v China), UNCLOS Annex VII Arbitration, 2014-2016 - counsel for the Philippines.
- Maritime and Land Boundary Dispute (Croatia v Slovenia), Arbitration under the auspices of the European Commission, 2012-2014 - adviser for Croatia.
- The ‘ARA Libertad’ Case (Ghana v Argentina), International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea, 2012-2013 - adviser for Ghana (Provisional Measures Phase).
- Maritime Boundary Dispute between Bangladesh and Myanmar (Bangladesh v Myanmar), International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea, 2010-2012 - junior counsel for Bangladesh.
- Case concerning the ‘Marine Protected Area’ around the Chagos Archipelago, (Mauritius v UK), UNCLOS Annex VII Arbitration, 2010-2014 - junior counsel for Mauritius.
- Maritime Boundary Dispute between Bangladesh and India (Bangladesh v India), UNCLOS Annex VII Arbitration, 2010-2014 - junior counsel for Bangladesh.
- Case Concerning the Application of the Genocide Convention (Croatia v Serbia), International Court of Justice, 2009-2014 - adviser for Croatia.
- Application of Article 11 of the Interim Accord (Macedonia v Greece), International Court of Justice, 2008-2011 - legal assistant for Macedonia.
- Application of the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination (Georgia v Russia), International Court of Justice, 2008 -researcher for Georgia.
Remi also has experience of international investment arbitration and assisted Professor Sands in his capacity as arbitrator in more than 10 investment treaty claims. He recently assisted the counsel team acting for a construction company alleging breaches of obligations to (i) ensure fair and equitable treatment; (ii) not to impose discriminatory measures; (iii) comply with undertakings in good faith; and (iv) afford treatment no less favourable than to investors and investments of third countries.