John-Paul is instructed in relation to all aspects of Police Law.
Examples of significant cases include:
- Advising the Home Office and Department for Education in relation to the new police apprenticeship scheme.
- Acting for Northumbria Police in relation to a high profile informer.
- Acting for Lancashire Police in relation to a major whistleblowing claim.
- Acting for the Serious and Organised Crime Agency (SOCA) in relation to an application in the Chancery Division for production of original documents held on a Court file in related bankruptcy proceedings.
- Acting for the Ministry of Defence police in relation to a major incident involving the shooting of live ammunition which has resulted in the bringing of multiple charges against the officers concerned.
- Advising a Constabulary on an equal pay issue involving hundreds of employees and officer.
- Defended a claim for unfair dismissal brought by an employee who was dismissed by the Chief Constable after being the subject of criminal charges of which he was later acquitted.
- Jointly instructed by a City Council and Chief Constable to advise upon the legality of governance arrangements in relation to a pioneering community safety project.
- Acting for Dorset Police in relation to a series of consolidated claims alleging that an unsafe control and restraint technique was taught to officer.
- Advising a Constabulary on the public procurement requirements relating to the provision of courses to the public.
- Acted for a Constabulary relation to a prospective claim for judicial review brought by a high profile individual who alleges that he was improperly issued with a police caution.
- Acted in a claim for unlawful arrest which involves an issue as to the proper construction of s24(5) of PACE. John-Paul also has extensive experience of unlawful detention claims in a public law context.