Jason is instructed in all areas of public law work, sources noting that “He is an extremely experienced advocate who is very good on his feet and has an excellent style with the judge…A class act who has a very good reputation" (Chambers UK). He specialises in claims that arise from the operation of the criminal justice system. Jason has particular expertise in corporate manslaughter and health and safety investigations and prosecutions - where experience in inquests, the criminal courts and in civil claims is essential.
Jason appears on behalf of central government, other public authorities, including the police service, the Independent Office for Police Conduct, the prison service, coroners and for corporate clients.
Notable cases include:
R (Charles & Dunn) v Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs and (2) Chief Constable of Northamptonshire Police  EWHC 1620 (Admin)
R (Halabi) v (1) Southwark Crown Court and (2) Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis  EWHC 1053 (Admin)
R (Officer W80) v Director General of the Independent Office for Police Conduct  EWHC 2215 (Admin)
R (R) v National Police Chiefs’ Council  1 WLR 1651
Competition and Markets Authority v Concordia International Rx (UK) Ltd – this involved a series of challenges, including:
- As to the procedure to be followed for the hearing of applications to vary or discharge warrants issued under the Competition Act 1998 s.28 giving the Competition and Markets Authority the power to enter business premises:  EWHC 2911 (Ch);
- The Court of Appeal’s decision on that issue:  EWCA Civ 1881;
- The ruling of the High Court that a special advocate should not be appointed in connection with the challenge:  EWHC 3158 (Ch);
- The ruling of the High Court that evidence relevant to the application to discharge the warrant was protected from disclosure by PII:  EWHC 3448 (Ch); and
- The ruling of the High Court dismissing the application to discharge the warrant:  EWHC 47 (Ch).
R (Hicks) v Senior Coroner for Inner North London (2017) 181 JP 1
R (Miranda) v Secretary of State for the Home Department & Ors  1 WLR 1505
R (Commissioner of Police) v Independent Police Complaints Commission  EWCA Civ 1248
R (Children’s Rights Alliance for England) v Secretary of State for Justice  1 WLR 3667
R (FGP) v Serco PLC  EWHC 1804 (Admin)
R (on the application of E1) v The Chairman of the Azelle Rodney Inquiry  EWHC 563 (Admin)
Kennedy v Charity Commission (No 2)  WLR 3524
R (GC & C) v Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis  1 WLR 1230
Kennedy v (1) Information Commissioner and (2) Charity Commission (No 1)  EWCA Civ 367