Fiona is recognised as a leading silk specialising in all aspects of police law and is rated as “one of the finest police law barristers in the country” (Chambers UK). She has represented most of the 43 police forces in England and Wales and appears regularly in high profile, sensitive and ground-breaking cases up to Supreme Court level.
Fiona's practice encompasses judicial review proceedings, civil claims, misconduct proceedings and advisory work. She also appears in high profile public inquiries and inquests. Fiona is adept at handling complex and sensitive cases and has an in-depth understanding of the impact of legal principles on practical policing. According to her clients she has “gravitas and commands confidence” and is commended for having “a fantastic approach to sensitive cases which require sympathy and empathy but a robust defence” and an “innate sense of the right solutions to issues raised by new emerging principles” (Chambers UK).
Current and recent examples of her high profile work include:
- Perepilichnyy Inquest
- London Bridge / Borough Market Inquests
- Grainger Inquiry
- Chatwani v NCA – IPT and high value civil damages claim arising from execution of search warrants
- BES Commercial Energy v Chester West and Chester Trading Standards – civil claim arising out of regulatory investigations into a commercial energy company
- Senior Officer misconduct proceedings including ACC Sutcliffe and ACC Beale
- Al Hilli Alps Murders – disclosure and child protection issues
- Advice on the Joint Doctrine of the Joint Emergency Services Interoperability Programme
- Hillsborough Inquests
Fiona was Head of Chambers 2010-2017.