Barney has experience of cases concerning misuse of private information, breach of confidence and breaches of Article 8 ECHR.
He is available to instruct on matters involving:
- The Data Protection Acts 1998 and 2018, the Law Enforcement Directive, and the General Data Protection Regulation, including in relation to data breaches;
- Civil claims concerning misuse of private information, breach of Articles 8 and 10 ECHR, confidentiality, or defamation;
- The Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 and the Investigatory Powers Act 2016, in the Investigatory Powers Tribunal and elsewhere;
- The Freedom of Information Act 2000 and challenges to decisions by public authorities or the Information Commissioner;
- Public law challenges to the lawfulness of systems for collection, retention or deletion of information, or individual decisions about the handling of information;
- Claims of unauthorised access to or use of information relating to employment;
- Disclosure of information between related sets of proceedings, and issues relating to Closed Material Procedures, Public Interest Immunity and Legal Professional Privilege.