Anne is ranked as a leading silk specialising in police law, public inquiries, inquests and public law. Clients value her “charming style” and ability to “cut through the myriad of information and get to the heart of the issue in cases” (Chambers UK). Anne has excelled in all areas of police law over many years.
She is ranked in the legal directories in Police Law and Inquests and Inquiries.
- ‘Her knowledge of police work is magnificent.’ Legal 500 2021
- ‘Clear as crystal, faultless and measured in her advice and advocacy but, most importantly, Anne cares about what is best for the client.’ Legal 500 2021
- "She comes across as very intelligent and committed." Chambers 2021
- "She has shown incredible insight and good tactical prowess." Chambers 2021
- "Particularly insightful and brings years of experience of tactics in police cases. Very assertive and assured." Chambers 2021
- "Very industrious and decisive." Chambers UK 2020
- "Has the ability to quickly grasp and understand complex issues and provide timely and comprehensive advice. She also has an excellent courtroom manner." Chambers UK 2020
- ‘She has a lovely manner, is very popular with clients and great to work with. ’Legal 500 2020
- A formidable opponent, with a steely centre and a commanding court presence. ’Legal 500 2020
- “Very experienced, bright and decisive: clients feel well supported when instructing her” Chambers UK 2020
- "Very forceful, a very good communicator and very good with clients. If you want someone for a tough fight, she is very robust." (Police Law) Chambers UK 2019
- "She is hugely experienced and meticulous in her preparations, and exudes a sense of calm." (Police Law) Chambers UK 2019
- "She's hugely experienced, meticulous in her preparations and exudes a sense of calm which is hugely important." (Inquests and Public Inquiries) Chambers UK 2019
- ‘She represents police forces in inquiries on top of arrest warrant work.’ (Police Law - Defendant) Legal 500 2019
- “She has a really charming style.” (Police Law) Chambers UK 2018
- “She is very decisive and steadfast.” (Police Law) Chambers UK 2018 2019
Clients value her ability to deal with cases “end to end” from advising in the early stages where litigation may follow right up to and including the Appellate hearings. Her clear, careful, straight talking approach has made her popular with clients of CEO rank . Her tactful approach also enables clients to deal with difficult issues and minimise reputational damage.
She is a Recorder, Bencher of Gray’s Inn and vetted to SC level
Recent examples of high profile work:
- Civil claim from false imprisonment brought by Harvey Proctor against the Metropolitan Police arising from Operation Midland
- Civil claim for breach of confidentiality brought by Paul Gambaccini against the Metropolitan Police arising from Operation Yewtree.
- Police Overtime Litigation brought by undercover officers and handlers on behalf of a police force
- Grenfell Inquiry acting for the Mayor of London focussing on London resilience, rights and treatment of social housing by local authority and TMO
- Inquests into the Deaths of 10 Patients Treated by Paul Miller (Urologist) acting for the Health Authority
- Inquest into the Deaths at Ballymurphy (NI) acting for a soldier accused of killing one of the victims
- Sean Rigg acting for the IOPC in the misconduct proceedings against officers concerned in the care and treatment of Mr Rigg.
- Hillsborough civil claims acting on behalf of West Midlands Police
- UCPI Significant and sensitive crime strand for a police force
- IICSA Cambridge House, Knowl View And Rochdale on behalf of Greater Manchester Police
- And Westminster strand on behalf of CC of Wiltshire Police
- Hyde Park Bombing (Civil Claim)