- EMPLOYMENT LAW
- OTHER SPECIALISMS
YEAR OF CALL: 1997
Melvyn specialises in all aspects of employment law including unfair dismissal, TUPE, advising on and drafting employment contracts, and has a particular interest in discrimination issues.
He advises and represents both Claimants and Respondents in the private and public sectors and regularly appears in Employment Tribunals and the EAT.
Melvyn also has an extensive practice advising and representing clients in a range of commercial and chancery matters. His experience includes dealing with a wide variety of commercial and contractual disputes, as well as issues in partnership, probate and property.
Melvyn had a successful career in business before coming to the Bar and therefore understands first-hand the practical issues likely to arise in the employment and commercial context.
Clients describe Melvyn as: “a very determined and combative advocate” with “amazing attention to detail”.
Recent employment law successes include:
- Representing a store manager in an unfair dismissal claim against a major supermarket group who had been dismissed for alleged gross misconduct.
- Obtaining a six figure sum for a senior executive at a mediation relating to a claim under the employer’s incentive scheme. This represented over 80% of the sum he had been claiming.
- Resisting an injunction application against two ex-directors who had left and started their own business that was competing with the company with whom they had previously been employed.
- Resisting a claim for unfair dismissal and sex and race discrimination by a senior employee of a Housing Association who was represented by an important member of her trade union.
- Resisting a claim for constructive unfair dismissal and sex discrimination by an employee of a retail group who resigned over the way she had been treated by her male line manager.
Melvyn is a member of the Employment Law Bar Association and the Employment Lawyers Association. He regularly provides CPD lectures for solicitors and HR managers on all aspects of employment law.
Melvyn was awarded first class honours in his LL.B. He was called to the Bar by Lincoln’s Inn in 1997.
Melvyn is qualified to accept Public Access work.