Alan has acted in a number of employment cases for the DWP, SOCA the Home Office and Foreign Office. In addition to standard unfair/constructive dismissal cases, and discrimination cases, Alan has recently acted in:
- A case involving a challenge to the lawfulness of pre-employment checks which involve consideration of the immigration history of the potential employee.
- A case involving a challenge to the lawfulness of the national security requirement that those who have access to sensitive material need to have British nationality;
- A test case brought against SOCA by interpreters (who unsuccessfully sought to argue that they were employed as opposed to self-employed);
- Pensions cases involving complex transfer provisions between the MET and SOCA; and
In addition Alan regularly provides high level advice on TUPE issues, and has acted in a number of cases focusing on post termination restraints (both obtaining and resisting injunctions).
Noteworthy cases include acting on behalf of the Respondent in:
- Chelsea F. C. in the case involving the dismissal of Mark Bosnich;
- Fulham F.C. in the case brought by Jean Tigana (employment tribunal/EAT).
Alan helped draft the employees’ handbook for Chelsea F.C.
He is also the co-author of the Employment Tribunals Handbook (5th edition 2017) published by BloomsburyProfessional.